Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homemade Cinnamon Toothpaste

If you have read either my About Me or Why Frugally Sustainable pages you know that our desire as a family is to move in the direction of production. We long to shun the consumer culture that has become so prevalent in our day and replace it with sustainable practices. Yes, that means we will live these values even if they expand no further than the four walls of our home.

However, my ultimate hope is that you will join us in this movement, that you will readily embrace the simple, and all the while begin to rediscover the true treasures in this life.

It is this spirit of production that guides our home. As I’ve shared with you before…we haven’t always held this mind-set. It’s been, and still is, a work-in-progress! We take small bites. Do the best we can with what we have. And most importantly, we find encouragement through like-minded people.

I bet you are beginning to wonder what the heck all of this has to do with homemade toothpaste!?! I’m getting there (wink). Well, one of the ways we achieve all of this in our home is through homemade products. I have been sharing with you many of our tried and true recipes. From green cleaners to herbal remedies we hope to find ways in which to produce all things necessary for our health, enjoyment, and vitality. Toothpaste is just another one of those things (smile).

Toothpaste, for some, seems to be a very difficult commercial product to let go of. But geez, have you seen the price tag on a tube of toothpaste these days? And with all the fluoride and glycerin and everything else in there that I can’t even pronounce! Homemade just makes more sense, for me at least.

Without further ado, here is the recipe:



Homemade Cinnamon Toothpaste

-4 teaspoons baking soda
-½ teaspoon hard honey
-½ teaspoon hydrogen peroxide
-½ teaspoon coconut oil
-3 drops of cinnamon essential oils

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl to form a paste. This recipe gives you enough for what I call a run through. Try it. See if it’s going to work for you. Then, if you like it, proceed to double, triple, or quadruple the recipe. Store it in an easy to dispense 2-4 ounce bottle at the sink, or just as you normally would with any commercial brand toothpaste.

Notes:

-This recipe is entirely flexible. Change it up. Try different “flavors” (i.e. essential oils) such as: vanilla-mint, lemon-mint, lavender, peppermint, or fennel. I purchase mine at a local health food store and online from Mountain Rose Herbs.

-Some have questioned the use of essential oils in this recipe. However, I say pure, high quality essential oils are of no concern. And just like with regular toothpaste, be sure not to sit around and eat it (wink).

-We buy local raw, unpasteurized honey (find a supplier near you by searching this link). It’s a creamy, yellow color and it’s hard. Not like the stuff that comes out of a plastic bear. If you use liquid honey you may need to adjust the amount of baking soda because the paste might turn out too runny.

-I will say the texture of the paste is different, not as smooth. It may require some adjustment. But the results are worth it!

-For added natural whitening power, after brushing your teeth use a ½ hydrogen peroxide ½ water solution as a mouthwash and swish for at least 30 seconds.

Pin It



Please leave a comment and let us all know about your experience with homemade toothpaste!

Find this post and a host of others here: Works for Me Wednesday, Real Food Wednesday, Health 2day Wednesdays, Homemaking Wednesdays, Monday Mania, Homestead Revival Barn Hop, Patchwork Living Blogging Bee, It's a Keeper Thursdays, Your Green Resource, Fresh Bites Friday, Homemaker Monday, Fat Tuesday, Growing Home: Teach Me Tuesday

23 Comments:

At October 5, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger suzyhomemaker said...

I am very excite to try this. I have almost all the ingredients at home, yet I won't be home for about a month, but this will definitely go on the to do list.

I found this through Real Food Wednesday @Kellythekitchenkop.
http://kellythekitchenkop.com/2011/10/real-food-wednesday-1052011.html

 
At October 5, 2011 at 7:56 AM , Anonymous simply heidi said...

I have never even thought about homemade toothpaste! Most days I don't use any, just brush with water. I've heard that daily baking soda can be too abrasive for your enamel, but I haven't verified it.
This looks good!

 
At October 5, 2011 at 8:09 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

@Suzy That's great! And if you think about it, please let us all know how it goes for you.

@Heidi Yes, baking soda alone can be too abrasive. The coconut oil and honey in this recipe work to avert the damage to your enamel. I hope you like the recipe:)

 
At October 5, 2011 at 9:28 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

Great recipe! I haven't ventured into making my own toothpaste but your recipe looks pretty simple. I'd love to invite you to share this post at my link up, Healthy 2day Wednesdays. Hope you'll stop by!

 
At October 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Blogger Jenna said...

Love the idea of being sustainable practices, too! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I will definitely be trying this.

 
At October 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Liberty said...

cool!! i just recently started brushing with 1-2 drops peppermint oil. it's incredible and not mixing!!
Blessings!
LIB
my recent egg post
http://bit.ly/fRVt8Q

 
At October 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM , Blogger ~Sara said...

Interesting. Thanks for linking up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip!

http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/

 
At October 5, 2011 at 9:12 PM , Anonymous Jacqueline at Deeprootsathome.com said...

This is very similar to what I make and use for myself! I especially like the thought of hydrogen peroxide as an additive. I write a simple living/gardening blog and would like to ask if I could link back to you as the catalyst for doing a post on toothpaste!? I hadn't thought to share my similar simple product, but now that I see your post, I should share it :)

 
At October 6, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

@Jacqueline I would be honored if you would link your post back to mine:) Share, share away!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 7:51 AM , Anonymous Micaela @MindfulMomma said...

I've never made my own toothpaste - but now I think I'm going to have to try! Thanks for the recipe!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 8:07 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

@Micaela You're very welcome:) Let me know how it goes for you!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM , OpenID aseedinspired.com said...

I love this idea...and the use of honey.
Thanks,
T

 
At October 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Blogger Emily @ Live Renewed said...

I've seen homemade toothpaste recipes before but haven't been brave enough to try them myself. You're right that for some reason it's a hard one to let go of, although we do use more natural toothpaste by Jason, rather than a conventional brand. And I definitely agree with you about moving towards sustainability in all different areas of our lives!

Thanks for linking up to Your Green Resource!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 5:30 PM , Blogger BionicMegaMom said...

Have you tried adding Xylitol to it? If so, how much would you add?

 
At October 6, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Good Girl Gone Green said...

That's my next experiment:homemade toothpaste! Thanks for
the recipe!

 
At October 6, 2011 at 8:26 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

I make a lot of things at home, but have never tried toothpaste! Looking forward to trying this out. Thanks for sharing. :)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

@BionicMegaMom I have never tried Xylitol. I would say add to taste and you may need to slightly decrease the amount of baking soda in order to get the right consistency. Let me know how it goes for you:)

 
At October 7, 2011 at 5:07 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

great idea for stocking stuffers thx I also use coarse celtic sea salt and fresh sun dried mint leaves crushed

 
At October 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM , Anonymous Jill said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Hope to see you next week! Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for
Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-october-11-2011/

If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

 
At November 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had mouth sores, bleeding gums and tooth sensitivity. Dentist diagnosed caused as reaction to fluoride or SLS which is poison. Read warning labels on toothpaste then go to the internet, MSDS etc. The dentist told me to stop toothpaste and use baking soda(BS)instead. Done so for years. Not one cavity since I began using BS. Had many prior to switching. When I switched had small cavities which were too small to fill and the dentist was watching closely. These areas re-calcified themselves and are completely healed now. Being a military family I have been seen by numerous dentists and hygienists. Each time I go for a cleaning I'm asked what my hygiene routine is because there is very little for them to scale. They are shocked when I tell them BS. Each dentist has said the same thing which leads me to believe it is their frame of reference received from dental school. "Well, I certainly would NOT recommend that for others, but whatever you're doing keep it up. It's working for you! You have the cleanest teeth and healthiest gums of all my patients.". Does anyone else find that interesting? If that were their observation and their top priority is the best possible oral heath for ALL patients then why would they NOT recommend that routine for others? Think about it and if your interest is peaked and red flags raised after reading about the ingredients in commercial pastes you can see more interesting info at oramedia.com.
When I started using BS all my issues quickly disappeared. I also had issue with feeling slightly nauseous after brushing with commercial paste which immediately subsided. A sticky film would form in my mouth that I have found to be directly related to commercial paste. Curious, I tried toothpaste again to see what would happen. The film and nausea returned. In fact I begin to heave sometimes quite violently within a few seconds. And my gums bled. I'm not willing to continue until the sensitivity and mouth sores return. Now, my husband retired from active duty. Living rurally we have the option of one dentist. She also asked what about my oral routine as she found my oral health very impressive. When I told her BS she DEMANDED I stop using BS IMMEDIATELY! I asked her why such great concern. She said BS is detrimental to my oral health. She said she would rather me use nothing than to use BS. When I asked how it was detrimental she said it would wear away enamel causing great sensitivity. I asked if her exam of my mouth revealed any signs of such she reluctantly said, "No". I told her it was a dentist who told me to do it originally, that every dentist I have seen prior to her has told me to keep it up and that after starting BS all my issues stopped. She got mad and stomped out. She held such conviction that I researched the effects of BS on enamel and found no research. In fact, the only thing I found regarding brushing and the wearing of enamel was that most people brush too hard and that alone, even without toothpaste of any kind, may lead to enamel wear. My daughter, who also has to use BS for the same reasons, is a dental assistant. She asked the dentist, with whom she works, if baking soda is bad for our enamel and was told there are two totally opposing schools of thought as to whether BS is to harsh. She was advised to continue BS but with a Sonicare brush "with technology that makes it impossible to brush too hard". They're about $100-$200. If interested you can purchase them from the dentist daughter works for...wink wink. But before you do you should probably read this: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16352883

Which states this: "The results indicate that brushing treatment with power or sonic toothbrushes may lead to significantly higher loss of demineralised enamel compared to toothbrushing without power or sonic support."

Respectfully,
Johnna

 
At November 19, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Ilene said...

I have tried a diluted hydrogen peroxide rinse but it seems to dry my mouth out and I get sores in my mouth. Someone recommended a sage rinse instead, which is supposed to have some cavity fighting properties and be good for the gums. Do you have an opinion on this?

 
At December 18, 2011 at 9:08 PM , Anonymous LuAnna said...

How do you get past the salty taste from the baking soda? I added a little more honey but the baking soda is so salty. I guess I might have to use less and see if that helps

 
At December 27, 2011 at 7:44 PM , Blogger alexroliepolie said...

I absolutely LOVE your blog and these wonderful home-made, sustainable things! I am so glad I stumbled here.

One question though... Isn't brushing your teeth with honey a little contradictory? You know, counterproductive?

Thank you for everything you're doing! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home