Sunday, October 16, 2011

Homemade Toilet Bowl Cleaner Recipes

Doesn't it seem like these days that there are 20+ different cleaning product available for just the bathroom? Not only that, but products for our drains, floors, toilets, counters, and glass...basically there are countless commercial cleaning products for just about anything you can think of.

Simplify.

If you've been following my blog. You know I mostly use these few ingredients to make all of my homemade cleaners:

1. Borax
2. Baking Soda
3. Super Washing Soda
4. White Vinegar
5. Castile Soap
6. Anti-Septic Essential Oils (i.e. tea tree oil, cinnamon leaf, lavender, eucalyptus, lemongrass, sweet orange and clove)

My journey into homemade cleaners began when I would read labels that said CAUTION, POISON, DANGER, or WARNING. Thank goodness there are simple and safe products that can be made for use in most cleaning situations that will dramatically lessen my family's exposure to toxins and chemicals. For example, castile soap, vinegar, and baking soda can work wonders with even the toughest grime that may be lurking in my bathrooms. Plus, there's always the added benefit of saving money when making your own simple and quick homemade recipes, as well as knowing your creative efforts are free from toxins for you, your family, and the environment.

Here are a couple of my recipes for cleaning the toilets.


Homemade Soft Scrub

-¾ cup baking soda
-Enough liquid castile soap to form a paste
-5 drops tea tree oil
-5 drops of lemon, lemongrass, or sweet orange oil (optional)

Directions: Add liquid castile soap to baking soda slowly until paste is formed. Then proceed to add antiseptic essential oils. Apply scrub to sponge for use on surface to be cleaned.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner

-3/4 cup baking soda
-3/4 cup white vinegar
-10 drops of tea tree oil
-10 drops of lavender essential oils

Directions: Combine baking soda and essential oils in a mixing bowl. When ready to clean toilet bowl add vinegar and pour mixture into the toilet. Then scrub with toilet brush. Note: This is a single use recipe. There is no method of storage due to the fizzing action.

Often times the toilet bowl cleaner recipe is enough to clean the stains in my toilets. However, there is the occasional instance when I've gone too long in between cleanings and tougher stains require the use of the homemade soft scrub in addition to the toilet bowl cleaner.

If you choose to make and use these products, please comment and let us all know your experience with them!

You should be able to find all of the items necessary to make these cleaners at your local grocery store. And they will probably be much cheaper there also. However, if you can not find them, or want to see what the product boxes look like, check out this Amazon affiliate store I have created for you by clicking this link: Frugally Sustainable Product Store. Also check out Mountain Rose Herbs for essential oils.

Pin It





See this post and a host of others like it here: Homestead Barn Hop, Monday Mania, Homemaker Monday, Fat Tuesday, Frugal Tip Tuesday, Ladybug Blessings, New Nostalgia, Growing Home, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Homemaking Wednesday, Momma Hen's: Whatever Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Your Green Resource, It's a Keeper, Living Well, Farmgirl Friday, Farm Friend Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday's Nature Table, More the Merrier Monday, Lines Across My Face, Patchwork Living, Handmade Tuesday, Terrific Under Ten Tuesday

26 Comments:

At October 17, 2011 at 5:20 AM , Blogger Christi said...

I mihgt have to try these recipes! That is a mighty clean toilet you have there! Thanks for sharing.

 
At October 17, 2011 at 8:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My sister claims the easiest way to clean a badly stained toilet is with pumice. And it doesnt scratch!!!

 
At October 17, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Treasures Evermore said...

I use only baking soda and vinegar for most of my cleaning...and a pumice stone works as well. But because I clean the toilets every few days, nothing has time to sit and harden.

Great post....enjoy reading your blog.

Connie

 
At October 17, 2011 at 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a septic system so I try to be careful about what I put down the drain. I've been using just the baking soda and white vinegar combination (just sprinkling baking soda and then pouring in the vinegar over it) and it works really well. I have well water also, so I get the hard ring pretty quick. The pumice works great for that.

 
At October 18, 2011 at 4:58 AM , Blogger ~Sara said...

Is this ok to use on a septic system? I have switched all my cleaners to homemade cleaners with the exception of toilet cleaner. Thanks for linking up to the Frugal Tuesday Tip. We always get such wonderful ideas.

http://learningthefrugallife.blogspot.com/2011/10/frugal-tuesday-tip-week-39.html

 
At October 18, 2011 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

I love cleaning with baking soda and vinegar. Thanks for the recipes!

 
At October 18, 2011 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've used just plain white vinegar to clean toilets. It works awesome in hard water areas because the acidity of the vinegar dissolves hard water deposits. I empty the water from the bowl first as much as I can so that the vinegar is more concentrated. I've never tried it with the baking soda added, but will give it a shot--it may be MORE awesome!

 
At October 18, 2011 at 4:47 PM , Anonymous Jill said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/fat-tuesday-october-18-2011/

If you have grain-free recipes please visit my Grain-Free Linky Carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge! It will be open until November 2.

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/grain-free-real-food-linky-carnival/

 
At October 18, 2011 at 5:23 PM , Anonymous Julia, Des Moines Frugal Family Examiner said...

Baking soda has worked well for us. Thanks for joining our Frugal Tuesday Tip this week. See you next time? http://juliecache.com/2011/10/17/frugal-tuesday-tip-lip-balm/.html

 
At October 20, 2011 at 12:26 PM , Blogger MommaHen said...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Momma-Hen/123880607653210 I shared this on my FB page!

 
At October 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM , Anonymous 'Becca said...

We got a new toilet last year, and already the underside of the seat is very discolored and has some odor. Do you know what will get it clean and white again? I have tried that soft scrub but without tea tree oil...I'll have to try it with!

 
At October 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

@MommaHen THANK YOU:)
@'Becca Try the baking soda/vinegar recipe. And try spraying some vinegar under there. Vinegar should clean it...sounds like hard water issues.

 
At October 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM , Anonymous Jill @RealFoodForager.com said...

Hi,
Your great post was featured at my Sunday Snippets this week. Come and check it out!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/10/sunday-snippets-october-23-2011/

 
At October 22, 2011 at 8:14 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ The Greenbacks Gal said...

I make the same soft scrub recipe. I have scented castile soap, so I leave out the essential oil. It works so well, I always wonder how the toxic stuff continues to sell!

 
At October 22, 2011 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Good Girl Gone Green said...

Thanks for the toilet scrub recipe!

 
At October 24, 2011 at 4:56 AM , Anonymous Pamela said...

I have a green house cleaning business and all my products are homemade and they work better than the store bought - I use vinegar and baking soda for cleaning toilets - it is the first thing that I do when starting to clean a bathroom - I let it sit while I am cleaning the rest of the bathroom and at the end I scrub the toilet, it works wonders - for tough stains I use a pumice stone - incredible. Great blog.

 
At October 24, 2011 at 12:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where do you find the ingredients? I live in Indy which is not a small town but I never see these ingredients in the grocery stores. Do I have to order it all off of the net? Any advice?

 
At October 24, 2011 at 12:58 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

@Anonymous You should be able to find baking soda on either the baking or laundry aisle at your local grocery. Super washing soda and borax are on the laundry aisle also. White vinegar should be with the condiments or salad dressings. And essential oils should be in a local health food store. I have created an amazon store where you can purchase a few of these items in bulk online if you cant find them locally: http://astore.amazon.com/frugallysustainableproductstore-20

I also like to order essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs: http://www.mountainroseherbs.com

 
At October 24, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and I think I am going to love it. Signed up to get your emails. I love the recipes you give for cleaning. Thanks.

 
At October 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

@Anonymous Thank you:) I'm so glad you found me:)

 
At October 29, 2011 at 10:13 PM , Blogger A Prairie Girl in California said...

so- I too am a lover of home made cleaning products, but I have a (silly,dumb) question -
Do you just sprinkle the soda in the water or on the sides where (my) stains are?! and then pour the vinegar directly over the stains or just into toilet. My toilets look awful and I don't know what to do so I really want to try this!!!!!
email- aprairiegirlincalifornia@gmail.com

Jenn

 
At November 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Sarah Smith said...

Do you make up any of the cleaning solutions in advance? For instance, could you have the baking soda/essential oils already mixed and store them that way, just adding mixing in a small bowl with vinegar when it's time to clean? Just wondering as I'd like to not have to measure everything out each time I need to clean.

 
At November 15, 2011 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Andrea said...

@Sarah You absolutely could! Great idea:)

 
At November 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Sara said...

So glad I came across this! We use Melaleuca products (which I love, they don't smell and NO safety caps - cause they are safe), but they don't have an actual toilet bowl cleaner - so I have still been using the stinky store bought stuff. Now whenever I use it all that is going through my head is "POISON!!!!"
Will be trying this as soon as this sickness is over!

 
At November 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I like to put a few drops of grapefruit seed extract (GSE) into the toilet when I'm adding the essential oils and I love to use grapefruit essential oil... it smells SO fresh and is my happy scent!
One thing that really helps, no matter what cleaning solution you choose is those magic eraser cleaners... seriously, even in the toilet. My kids discovered that and looked at me like "really Mom?" when I asked "it really works in the toilet too?" so I tried it and yep, they were right again. It actually got the mineral deposits in my toilet to pull away from the bowl in big shards... careful, they're sharp!

 
At December 28, 2011 at 6:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started using water,vinegar,a dash or 2 of dawn dish soap in spray bottles for all my cleaning needs. It works great, it's easy on the pocketbook and is not chemically dangerous.everything sparkles and smells great.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home