Monday, November 7, 2011

Homemade Probiotic Deodorant - That Really Works!


Probiotics.

A buzzword within the natural health community. And rightfully so! Most health conscious individuals understand the positive effects on digestion that come from using probiotic foods and supplements. In fact, the benefits of ingesting probiotics have been well researched and the craze is taking over.

If you haven't already heard of fermented foods, kefir, and kombucha you will soon. These are nutritional powerhouses used by those seeking to live a healthy lifestyle through a superb digestive system. eCourses such as this one offered through Gnowfglins will give you the knowledge base you need in order to implement these cooking methods.

Likewise, as the known benefits of probiotics are now expanding into mainstream culture, new research is showing remarkable promise for the use of this "good bacteria" in topical remedies.


Emerging thoughts include the idea that probiotics can actually help improve the balance of bacteria in your skin, very similar to the way they are known to improve the balance of bacteria in your digestive system. This will provide relief for those who suffer with eczema, psoriasis, various rashes of the skin, skin allergies, acne, unsightly discolorations, and interestingly enough it is also proving to be a powerful antidote against aging (a.k.a. wrinkles)!

Our skin is the largest organ in our body. It, above all, requires extreme care for overall health as it is our first line of defense against disease carrying pathogens. Often times we forget that our skin contains millions of beneficial bacteria, also known as micro flora. Micro flora provide an essential role in preventing undesirable bacteria from developing.

This is part where we transition into what all of this means for our underarms (smile).

All of the chemicals in conventional deodorants serve to kill these "bad" or undesirable bacteria that cause that unwanted natural scent. However, in the mean time, they kill the "good bacteria" too. Leaving our bodies defenseless.

There are many reasons why we should be concerned about using anti-perspirants and commercially prepared deodorants! Here are just a few:

  1. There are hidden dangers in the active ingredients of conventional deodorant (i.e. Aluminum, Parabens, Propylene glycol, Phthalates, and Triclosan). Current research shows a strong link between anti-perspirants containing aluminum and breast cancer, birth defects, allergies, and hormonal imbalances. These potentially hazardous chemicals have no place in our homes and certainly no place under our arms.
  2. Even with all of the options for an all-natural, "green" deodorant, it is simply too pricey for this frugal chick!
  3. Let the body do what the body will do! I believe that when we attempt to inhibit the natural functions of the body we negatively effect the rhythms created for a purpose.
It was these concerns, and new research findings on probiotics, that lead me to create my own solution.


Homemade Probiotic Deodorant

-1 tbsp. cocoa butter
-1 tbsp. coconut oil
-1 tbsp. shea butter
-1 tbsp. beeswax
-2 1/2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
-1 tbsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. vitamin E oil (as a preservative)
-15 drops essential oil of your choice
-2 or 3 capsules powdered probiotics




Melt cocoa butter, coconut oil, shea butter, and beeswax over low heat.




Add arrowroot powder and baking soda. Whisk with chopsticks until all powders are dissolved and combined. Remove pot from heat. Add vitamin E oil and essential oils at this time. Allow mixture to cool in pan. Once it is cooled and the consistency of pudding, open capsules of probiotics and add powder to mixture. Stir with spatula quickly to combine.



Add mixture to clean, used deodorant container. Place in refrigerator to cool and harden. After this, product may be stored on counter (Note: Using a shelf stable probiotic such as Bio-Kult will prevent the need for refrigeration). This recipe will fill container and last for 3-4 months. Remember...a little goes a long way!

Check out these great resources for alternative homemade deodorant recipes and create one of your own!

Notes:

-When choosing a probiotic supplement for this deodorant it is important to find one that is shelf stable. It should also contain highly resistant beneficial bacteria such as lactobacillus and bifidobacteria. These "good bacteria" have the ability to survive the pH of our stomach acid during digestion and are the one's that should be included in this recipe.

-If you have sensitive skin, substitute baking soda and use arrowroot powder solely. You may also consider omitting the essential oils.

-Use good smelling essential oils, any scent or combination of scents will do. So pick your favorite and have fun with it!

Do you use homemade deodorant? What works for you? Please feel free to leave a comment and continue the discussion!

Pin It


I purchased most of the products necessary for this recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs. A well appointed local health food store should also have these items in stock. And of course, there's always Amazon.com.

Please find this post and a host of others like it here: DIY Project PartyHomestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesday, New Nostalgia, Tip Me Tuesday, Ladybug Blessings, Under Ten Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesday, Frugal Tuesday Tip, Show Me What Ya Got, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday Confessional, Tutorial Tuesday, Far Above Rubies, Take-A-Look, Real Food Wednesday, Healthy 2day Wednesday, Homemaking Link-Up, Wicked Awesome Wednesday, The Mommy Club, Whatever Wednesday, The Sasse Life, Sugar and Dots, Show Off Your Stuff, Simple Lives Thursday, It's a Keeper Thursday, Creative Juices, Freaky Friday, Friday Favorites, Fresh Bites, Farm Girl Friday, Gallery of Favorites, Fight Back Friday, Frugal Friday, Friday's Nature Table, Show and Tell, At the Picket Fence, Inspire Me Friday, Home and Family, Flaunt It Friday, SNS 107, Weekend Bloggy Reading, Sunday School, Nifty Thrifty Things, More The Merrier, Monday Mania, The Girl Creative, Homemaker Mondays, Savvy Homemade, Inspire Me Monday, Make Something, Mad Skills, Made By You

Sources:
-http://www.naturalnews.com/033364_deodorants_chemical_ingredients.html?Click=43799
-http://www.naturalnews.com/027457_probiotics_probiotic_eczema.html
-http://www.naturalingredient.org/syntheticfragrances.htm
-http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/



Cultivating Herbal Friendships

53 Comments:

At November 8, 2011 at 7:04 AM , Blogger Sarah @ Mum In Bloom said...

You are simply amazing. How inspiring to make your own probiotic deoderant. Thank you for sharing how you do it!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 7:24 AM , Blogger The Humbled Homemaker said...

Wow--This looks wonderful!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Kimberly said...

I have been using a blend of coconut oil and equal parts baking soda and cornstarch for years. Love it. I do need to make a change somehow for winter though as our house is so cold the coconut oil is almost too hard to spread.

 
At November 8, 2011 at 8:33 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Wow. Didn't know you could this. Might have to give this a try.

 
At November 8, 2011 at 8:50 AM , Anonymous Heather @ Nourishing the Heart said...

Very interesting! I have the same trouble as Kimberly though with the coconut oil making my homemade deodorant so hard in the winter. (Although I just hold it under my arm for a little bit until it softens enough.) Does this stay softer even in colder weather since it has the butters and beeswax in it?

 
At November 8, 2011 at 9:44 AM , Anonymous Free Range Mama said...

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.

 
At November 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Stephanie G. said...

You're a AZ valley girl too, right? Would you wear this in August?

 
At November 8, 2011 at 2:04 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

@Stephanie G. I am and yes I did:) Not this one because I just started making this recipe about a month ago, but I was using baking soda and coconut oil which was way more oily than this! So I actually anticipate that this will work much better in the summer months!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous Justyn @ Creative Christian Mama said...

Cool beans! I'm going to try adding some probiotics to my homemade version, for now. When I run out, I'll try the whole recipe! Thanks!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Amy said...

Love this! I am totally going to try it. I've never been satisfied with the effectiveness of natural deodorants, so hopefully this will work better! Thanks so much for sharing!

 
At November 8, 2011 at 5:41 PM , Anonymous Jill @RealFoodForager.com said...

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

http://realfoodforager.com/2011/11/fat-tuesday-november-8-2011/

 
At November 9, 2011 at 4:10 PM , Anonymous Jill @RealFoodForager.com said...

This post will be featured at Sunday Snippets this week! Please come over and check it out! I’ll be at the conference this weekend so I can’t send the link.

www. RealFoodForager.com

 
At November 9, 2011 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Shay said...

Awesome! Thanks! Visit me at http://raisingdieter.blogspot.com/

 
At November 9, 2011 at 4:59 PM , Blogger Shay said...

new follower!

 
At November 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Blogger erin said...

great! I use the crystal deodorant, made of mineral salt. cuts the odor down but you still sweat. I never use anti-antiperspirant because I also feel that we sweat for a reason!
I am writing this recipe down right now... probiotics in there is interesting.

 
At November 9, 2011 at 10:19 PM , Anonymous Christine said...

Interesting. This would take some getting used to for me because I am addicted to my anti-perspirant. But I know that I need to get away from the aluminum.....

 
At November 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM , Blogger Good Girl Gone Green said...

Thank you for sharing. I have found a few deodorant recipes and just need to get my butt in gear to make some. You have been pinned!

 
At November 11, 2011 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Debbie @ Larson Farm Naturals said...

Amazing! Thank you for this. I have all of these ingredients already since I make soap so I am going to make some today. I have had problems with regular deodorant not working well after I had kids. Why, I really don't know haha! Maybe it's the stress :)

 
At November 11, 2011 at 7:46 AM , Anonymous Jen said...

We did a body care post a few weeks back. Leslie (my co-blogger) made a good point -- we want to reduce smell, but not our bodies ability to sweat which is a natural function to rid the body of toxins. As much as I am dismayed by that, she is correct. I have been using coconut oil and baking soda and it works great for the odor. I will have to try your method. I have other questions for you too but I think I will write you an email. :)

 
At November 11, 2011 at 10:50 AM , Blogger qhartman said...

Great write up. You talk about improving the balance of your skin, and there is another very frugal and sustainable way to do that. Stop using soaps and shampoos for your daily bathing!

With the exception of times where I actually get properly dirty and I need something to break up the mess, I don’t use any soap or shampoo at all for daily bathing. I’ve been doing it for over a year now. It takes a few weeks for your body (mostly your hair) to get acclimated to managing itself properly after a lifetime of self-imposed chemical warfare, but once that is done, you are home free. My hair is more manageable, and a number of minor skin conditions I’ve thought I’d just have to deal with forever have either improved considerably or gone away entirely. Just hot water and washcloth is all I need.

About six months ago I made the mistake of washing my hair with shampoo, just because it had been so long I wanted to remember what it was like. It felt good, but my hair didn’t seem any more clean afterwards. It seemed kinda limp and lifeless, and for the next several days things were totally out of whack as I recovered from the chemical strip. Never again!

This article is what inspired me to try it: http://blog.seanbonner.com/2010/02/01/ive-given-up-using-soap/

Here is a follow up from the original author:
http://boingboing.net/2011/01/04/i-havent-used-soap-i.html

Those articles have more links in them.

For the ladies, my wife does this too, and she seems happy with it. She has long hair, and just does a vinegar rinse once in awhile if things seem to be getting too oily. She is pretty dang low-maintenance in the personal care arena though, so your mileage may vary.

Another interesting side effect of the no-soap bathing is that it takes a heckuva lot less time and water to do it. Anything longer than a 5 minute shower feels decadent, and I find myself "done" bathing long before I'm ready to stop enjoying the hot water!

 
At November 11, 2011 at 4:11 PM , Anonymous Karen said...

Thanks for the recipe you are currently using. I have been using homemade deodorant (coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder) for many months now and love it. I will never buy deodorant again, but I may give your recipe a try.
Also, like the previous poster mentioned, I don't use commercially made shampoo or conditioner. I dissolve 1T baking soda in 1 cup of water, and 'wash' my hair with that no more than every other day. My 'conditioner' is 1T apple cider vinegar in 1 cup water, and I use it once for every three times using the soda. It has been almost 3 months, and my hair is shinier and has more body than it ever has. It doesn't ever appear greasy, either. I am still amazed at how well this has worked for me.

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:38 AM , OpenID lilsuburbanhomestead said...

Thanks so much for this post we will be having bees wax next year and I am very interested in these types of sustainable recipes!

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:40 AM , Blogger Guadalupe Farm said...

Sounds neat! I use a mix of lavender and tea tree oils, just dab some one a couple of times a day. It kills the bacteria that cause the smell... or something like that.;)

 
At November 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM , Anonymous Mercedes said...

Our house is cold too. Scrape your fingernails away from your palm along the top of the coconut oil. That will give plenty to soften at room temp. Just don't scrape the other way and end up with it under your nails.

 
At November 12, 2011 at 7:39 AM , Anonymous Darcy@SomewhatMuddledMusings. said...

My recipe is a lot simpler as far as ingredients list, and I love the natural way - I need to revise it with the beeswax so that I don't have to store it in my fridge year round. It's an interesting premise on the probiotics, though..I've not run across topical issues.

 
At November 12, 2011 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Theophanie said...

I use straight baking soda. After I finish washing my face, I dip my still-wet fingers in a dish of baking soda and apply. It works for a few days at a time. Because baking soda kills bacteria, do you think it may kill all the probiotics you are putting in your deodorant? I would love to know the science behind your recipe! :) Knowing how it worked could open up a whole new world of ideas for me!

 
At November 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Sounds like a very workable recipe. I did wonder about the fate of the probiotics too though, especially with the essential oils in there??
Sue

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:23 PM , Anonymous Katie @ Imperfect People said...

Wow! I am impressed. I bought some homemade deodorant on etsy but never even considered the probiotics. How cool!

 
At November 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

You all bring up an interesting research topic! In my preliminary search I am coming up with nothing. All I know at this point is that with the addition of probiotics this has been the only homemade recipe to work for me:) I will be researching this further in the coming days!

 
At November 14, 2011 at 5:39 AM , Blogger Moonbeams and Eco-Dreams said...

What a wonderful post! I'm going to repost on my FB page. I use coconut oil and baking soda. Works perfectly, then again I'm not a big sweater.

 
At November 14, 2011 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous D. Smith said...

I provide infant day care, and have had several babies over the years who present with yeast infections (diaper area, and thrush). I mix coconut oil, a little avocado oil and open about 5 capsules of acidophilus and put it on their rumps to help and then another container with the stuff I give them off a spoon for the oral thrush. Works like a charm in about 3-4 days.

Also, I use the menthol crystals from Mountain Rose Herbs and let them dissolve in a small baby food jar filled with olive oil or avocado oil. Then when it's dissolved, I add it to coconut oil in another baby food jar and put this in the fridge. It hardens and is my own homemade vicks. I also sometimes add a few drops of lavander oil, lemon oil and orange oil for baby vicks. It goes on the babies feet while wearing a footed sleeper and the vapors can then get to their nose without being overwhelming to them. For the older babies, it can be rubbed onto their backs to help with congestion and coughing, etc.

Home remedies are cheaper in the long run and work best.

I've been using coconut oil, aluminum free baking soda (Bob's Red Mill has it) and clary sage oil for years as deodorant.

I also use coconut oil mixed with a few drops of orange oil as tooth/gum cleaner. For my "toothpaste" I use dolomite mixed with baking soda and a few drops of cinnamon leaf oil.

I also use a mixture of oils called 4 Thieves to clean my house, spray on my hands as an antibacterial while shopping (those cart handles are gross) and keep a container of huggies wipes in the car which have been rinsed of their chemical junk and then I add a little filtered water mixed with vegetable glycerin and a couple of drops of essential oil of choice. Wipes in a neat little container but with my own mixture, not all those chemicals. Makes the car smell good, too.

 
At November 14, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Sabina@Slip Stitches & More said...

Love what you're talking about, it's right up my lifestyle, aaand thanks for the probiotic tips. I'm a new follower (found you over at something I whipped up link party).
Do stop by anytime!
http://slipstitchesandmore.blogspot.com

 
At November 14, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Amy Bowman said...

You are featured at Anti-Procrastination Tuesday tomorrow! Thanks for linking up!

 
At November 15, 2011 at 6:50 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

Great recipe. I'll have to try it. Thank you for linking up to More the Merrier Mondays.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

 
At November 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Lalia said...

I have a simpler way of keeping the stink at bay. I exfoliate my arm pits. At first it was a couple times a week, now it's about weekly or less. There's no longer dead skin there to harbor the bacteria. I had struggled with that sour smell since I was 8 or 9 years old and now it's gone. My girlfriend tried it on her 7 year old daughter and it helped as well. There's so many natural home-made exfoliants. Just pick one and give it a try. Now days I also scrub across the chest and shoulders and use the exfoliant. The slipperiness of my scrub helps me when I do my monthly breast exams. It makes a great reminder to do them as well.

 
At November 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM , Blogger Janine said...

Just wondering what the purpose of the starch is and whether it could be left out? I"ve been using coconut oil and bakng soda as deoderant for a while--I love the idea of adding probiotics to the mix.

 
At November 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM , Blogger giftonartistry said...

I've been looking for a deodorant recipe! This looks great! Found you through Nifty Thrifty things and am now a follower!

 
At November 18, 2011 at 10:38 AM , Anonymous Alisa said...

Thank you thank you thank you for this!! Can't wait to try this when I get home. What a beautiful site :)

Do you want to be featured in the skincare section of my site? http://antioxidantbuzz.com/antioxidantskincare.html

 
At November 20, 2011 at 4:49 PM , Blogger andrea said...

Found you at the linky- this d.e.o. is awesome and I LOVE your WHOLE SITE!! Now following,andrea@townandprairie

 
At November 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM , Anonymous Jen said...

I've always been one that absolutely had to wear deodorant because I smelled terribly offensive. Someone suggested taking some vodka and putting it in a spray bottle with some essential oils. (I've mixed in lavender and tea tree.) She said to stick with it b/c it'll take time for your body to adjust, and she was right. But after a month or so, things seem to have calmed down and I'm happy to say I've been using it exclusively for 6+ mos. and my husband says it's great.

 
At November 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Anonymous Tracy P said...

This sounds so great, odor is not my problem, sweating is. The only thing in 38 years I found that works sorry to say, since this is such a health conscience conversation is botox, so I need an alternative. Any ideas for something that helps more for sweating.

 
At November 27, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Blogger Wendy Armbruster Bell said...

Hi there,

First time to your blog. I am very interested in making this. Is there a site online that sells all or most of the ingredients?

Thanks,

Wendy

 
At November 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Wendy ... the author listed links sources & information above. The source for the ingredients is Mountain Rose Herbs at www.mountainroseherbs.com . Amazon.com and a well-appointed local health food store were listed as well.

 
At November 28, 2011 at 10:33 AM , Blogger Doug said...

does this deodorant stain/ruin clothes?

 
At November 28, 2011 at 10:34 AM , Blogger Doug said...

Does this deodorant ruin/stain clothes?

 
At November 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there anyway to make this without beeswax?

 
At November 29, 2011 at 2:42 PM , Anonymous Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable said...

@Annymous You can make it without the beeswax...however it may be a bit more crumbly and fall apart but still as effective:)

 
At December 4, 2011 at 8:27 AM , Anonymous Jen said...

I Love your blog. Just found it on pinterest!

 
At December 10, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of probiotics do you recommend...been looking for a good one anyway before I saw this recipe. Thanks for sharing going to try this soon!!


Lindsey

 
At December 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this protect against sweating? I'm a heavy sweater (not the wooly kind ;) ) and don't like the sweat spots on my clothing!

 
At December 26, 2011 at 3:35 PM , Anonymous amber said...

Good to find your blog from a comment you made at keeper of the home. I use vodka. Easy - no mixing required. Most deodorants don't work for me but this one does.

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:23 AM , OpenID homespunhousewife said...

I just made this deodorant as a Christmas gift for my sister (and a bit for myself too!) It was very easy to make and has worked very well! I need to work on my essential oil combinations, but overall this was a great recipe! Thanks!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Erin said...

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this without the shea butter. I have a sun who is allergic to tree nuts so I try not to bring it into our home. Would doubling the cocoa butter work?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home