Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Non-Greasy Homemade Moisturizing Lotion

Photobucket


Finally!

A homemade lotion that I can use throughout the day without my skin feeling like a grease pit!

As a family, we usually go through several bottles of lotion during the cold, winter months. But, I must say that I have been generally unhappy with the homemade recipes I have tried in the past for several reasons:

  • Many recipes contain borax (love borax for cleaning, not so much on my skin).
  • They're just to greasy. Like "can't hold on to anything" greasy.
  • Some recipes involve ingredients that are hard to find.

And the lotions I find on store shelves are:

  • super expensive
  • they don't work
  • ladened with chemical preservatives that I'm not okay with 

For all of these reasons, I decided to continue on my quest for the perfect non-greasy homemade moisturizing lotion.

I've finally found it and now, as always, I'm sharing it with you!

Lotion Making Method


Photobucket


Gather the Ingredients

-1 cup aloe vera gel
-1 teaspoon vitamin E oil
-3/4 ounce beeswax, grated or broken into small pieces
-1/2 cup almond or grapeseed oil
-1 tablespoon cocoa butter (I added this for a slightly more luxurious lotion during the winter, but this is optional.)
-10 drops essential oils of choice (optional)

Directions:


Photobucket

With a makeshift double boiler, over low heat, melt beeswax and oils.

Photobucket
 
In a medium-sized bowl, combine aloe vera gel, vitamin E oil, and essential oils.

Photobucket
 
Pour the melted oils into a blender and allow them to cool to room temperature. This is a vital step in order to prevent separation. Once cooled, with blender on low speed, slowly and continuously pour in aloe vera mixture. Run a rubber spatula aganist the sides of the blender to incorporate all ingredients. Blend until the mixture has the look and feel of lotion. Note: This step may also be performed in a mixing bowl with the use of a handheld electric mixer.  

Photobucket
 
Pour the lotion into sterilized jars. You can use sterilized canning jars if you have them on hand. I keep a jar on the bathroom counter and one in the refrigerator. The lotion will keep for up to 6 weeks in the refrigerator.
 

Notes

-Almond oil and grapeseed oil are readily absorbed by the skin thereby leaving the non-greasy feeling.

-My favorite essential oil combination for this lotion is geranium and lime!

-This lotion is not only perfectly moisturizing for these winter months, but with the addition of aloe gel, I anticipate this recipe will carry me through the summer as well! I think it's going to be perfect for those after-to-much-sun days.

-Best of all, I like that this recipe contains NO chemicals. It is as pure as any healthy, nutritious food you would eat. Rubbing something into your skin is the same as putting it into your mouth, so I’d rather use good things like almond oil, aloe vera, and natural beeswax. Not to mention, this lotion costs a fraction of the retail price when compared to it's commercially-prepared counterparts.

-To purchase ingredients needed for this recipe look in your local health food store or order online through Mountain Rose Herbs.

Pin It


See this post and a host of others like it here: Crafty Sasse, Deep Roots At Home, Raising Homemakers, Women Living Well, Crystal & Co., Real Food Wednesday, Simple Lives Thursday, Your Green Resource, Show Off Your Stuff

14 Comments:

At December 27, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Blogger Jessica said...

Sounds Awesome! I've been looking for a recipe for a nongreasy feel, thank you!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM , Anonymous Wendy @HerBallistic Garden said...

That, Andrea, sounds perfectly wonderful! Trying this one...saved to my tutorial file! Thanks...I'm thinking jasmine essential oil...xo

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:31 AM , Anonymous Stacy Makes Cents said...

I am continuously amazed at all the things I can use my blender for. :-)

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Shay said...

Thank you! I thought the other day that I needed to find a recipe for this!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 11:51 AM , Blogger Becca said...

Yay! I have been making lotion with Borax and wasn't too sure that was very good for my skin. I am SO happy to have this alternative!

 
At December 27, 2011 at 12:35 PM , Blogger Theresa said...

This sounds great! Thank you so much for another wonderful and natural recipe. I made the probiotic deodorant for my older children and they love it! I had tried a different recipe but we weren't too thrilled with the results, I think the addition of beeswax is perfect. I added a bit of teatree oil to it along with lavender and can't wait to make some for the rest of us now. I have been making our laundry soap and lavender dryer sachets for a while now and so gave them an all natural care package of homemade body wash, your deodorant, some sugar scrub and laundry soap and dryer sachets. Now I can add some lotion to it before they all leave to go back to their new homes. Thank you again for helping me go all natural! I told my kids that I am going back to my hippy ways... they love it! My 22 year old son took some of the things to his old college roommates for a Christmas present... I can't tell you how happy that made me! Merry Christmas! t.xoxoxo

 
At December 27, 2011 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Pam said...

This looks like an awesome recipe. I love how it looks whipped.

 
At December 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM , Blogger Stephanie G. said...

How long will it keep if you don't put it in the fridge? It's cold and I don't want to rub cold lotion on myself after a shower :)

 
At December 27, 2011 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

@Stephanie I keep a small 2 ounce size jar on the bathroom counter and refill it with the extra in the fridge as needed. Honestly, I use it everyday on myself and the kids so this recipe never lasts 6 weeks:) I've never had a problem with it going bad using this method.

 
At December 27, 2011 at 5:32 PM , Anonymous Sarah @ Renaissance Mama said...

This looks great! I've pinned it to give it a try!

 
At December 28, 2011 at 11:05 AM , Anonymous Barb @ A Life in Balance said...

How much did it actually cost you to make this? I think I can find the ingredients locally. Just curious before I tackle it as a winter project. Thanks!

 
At December 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Renee said...

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! What a God-send! Blessings to you! :)

 
At December 28, 2011 at 5:52 PM , OpenID homespunhousewife said...

Well I made my first batch of this cream :) It didn't quite look like this though lol. I used Aloe from a plant I grow in my house and it's very sticky compared that which you buy in the store, and I didn't have grapeseed or almond oil so I used olive oil instead. The super sticky Aloe made the concoction look like someone blew their nose in a jar, and it didn't combine too well with the oils and wax, but over all it works REALLY well! (And that's really all that counts!) My son has eczema and I haven't found anything that makes his skin feel moisturized, but I'm so pleased to say this WORKED! Even after one application his skin felt so soft and supple, like a baby should! Thanks for another great recipe!

 
At December 29, 2011 at 6:11 PM , Blogger The Greening Of Westford said...

Thanks! I just tried making a hard lotion bar. I really like it. But I'd love to try this too. Do you have another blender that you use just for this? Or are you able to clean the blender out? I'm curious about the beeswax. I've also made lip balm and have a separate coffee mug that I use just for melting the ingredients since it can be hard to clean out the beeswax.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home